The development of new communication networks is dependent on the emergence of globally accepted standards to ensure interoperability, economies of scale for cost-effective deployments and end-users. A KPI is a measurable value that displays how effectively a network is serving a user. We can expect a new matrix to make the network KPI prominent and defining it is going to be a challenge for the network operator.
5G KPI will be under the following categories:
Accessibility KPI: A request from a network likely prompts the user of a service to proceed within the specified conditions. In 5G, successful registration for network slices is an indication of moving to the UE. If users or customers cannot register in the network slice instance, they cannot use any network services in the network slice instance.
Retainability KPI: It is used to measure how the network keeps the user’s possession or able to hold and provide the services for the users.
Integrity KPI: It is the property that data is not unauthorizedly altered and service integrity is the degree to which a service is rendered without excessive loss.
Utilization KPI: It describes the mean number of KPI PDU sessions that are successfully established in the network slice instance.
Availability KPI: It is used to measure the availability of the network, suitable or ready for users to use services.
Mobility KPI: It is used to measure the network’s performance, which can handle the movement of users and retain the service for the user.
KPI definitions template:
- Long name (mandatory): this field shall contain the long and descriptive name of the KPI.
- Description (mandatory): this field shall contain the description of the KPI.
- Logical formula definition (mandatory): the logical formula should describe what the KPI formula is logical.
- Physical formula definition (optional): this field should contain the KPI formula description using the 3GPP defined counter names.
- Measurement names used for KPI (optional): it should list the measurement names used for KPI.
- KPI object (mandatory): it shall describe the object of KPI - NR and NG-RAN, 5GC, and 5GS.
- Unit of the KPI (mandatory): percentage, time interval, erlang, Kbits/sec.
- Type of the KPI (mandatory): it describes the type of the KPI - MEAN, RATIO, CUM.
- Remark (optional)